Monday, July 23, 2007

In other news...


I had the pleasure of being part of another First Wives World interview, although this one was more of a round table discussion than a one-on-one interview. (Above is a screen shot of the FWW home page.)

I have to admit that I was a bit nervous before this one because I knew that I would be talking about my personal life in front of a bunch of people I know rather than two people I know. Not to mention the fact that I'm used to being on the behind-the-scenes side of the camera. But, as soon as I got there, all my concerns were put to rest.

First of all, Julie and Joe, friends of mine who introduced me to First Wives World and who also help them with film production, always make me feel at home. Julie has this was of being so calmly inquisitive that I usually find myself happy to spill all the beans I have, which is a good place to be in when your supposed to be spilling your beans for a national social network.

I also was able to meet the producers who are making FWW possible. I won't say anymore about them just yet, because I don't know if they are the kind of producers who like to be in the spotlight or the kind of producers who prefer to remain mysterious benefactors, but I will say that they were lovely people and I'm glad they are in the world making forums like this available to people who need them and I hope they keep it up because they are doing a great job.

I really enjoyed getting to know the other women at the table. The four of us come from such different backgrounds with radically different stories, but it seemed so natural to be talking to them about the circumstances of my impending separation. I particularly enjoyed talking to Michelle, a single mother who is taking care of both herself and a daughter! (Sheesh - I am having a hard enough time figuring out how to provide for the one of me!) It was good to be with women my age who are on the other side of this particular transition. Being with them makes it feel less insurmountable somehow. In any case, the whole discussion was relaxed, well balanced, and sometimes pretty funny. (Heather was pretty quick with the witty divorcee one-liners.) Over all, I enjoyed myself immensely and I can't wait to see what the outcome will be. Don't worry, I'll post the links here as soon as they are up on the site.

Strangely enough, I think my participation with First Wives World is the main thing that is anchoring me to the future I need to move into. Despite our irreconcilable differences when it comes to religion and children, my relationship with Ahmed is so comfortable and content that I think we could stretch this transition period out over a couple of years if nothing was pushing me to make a change right now. If I hadn't put myself out on a national network, I just might settle for mere contentment rather than true happiness. (Which just happens to be my worst nightmare. I would much rather be that superb meteor than a sleepy and permanent planet... vague reference I know... see whole quote below.)

So - thank you Julie and Joe, for recognizing the potential story in me, (and Ahmed), and for hitching me to the back of this ever-expanding vehicle which is pulling me faster up a hill that it may have taken me forever to climb. I can't wait to see the view from the top!

Oh yes... and here's that quote:

“I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

No comments: