Friday, March 16, 2007

Dancing a Jig!

Dancing a jig... dancing a jig...

So, by now you've noticed that I have a tendency to disappear for long periods of time before popping up again. 'Tis a function of being a whimsical person. I am working on being much more consistent! I really am! It just may take a little time to build up my blogging muscle, so be patient with me!

I'm in a rambling sort of mood, so keep your eyes on the road... some curves are coming up.

Lots going on lately. I...

a) went with Leese tonight to see The Year of Magical Thinking starring Vanessa Redgrave. Not bad stuff, although I think Joan Didion and I have differing opinions on the definition of the word "magical". VR was pretty amazing, though, and I'm glad I can now say I've seen her on Broadway. We will be seeing Kevin Spacey in A Moon for the Misbegotten on the 29th. Leese has made all of the arrangements and I am hugely grateful because I need some good other-people's-drama in my life right now. (fyi - other-people's-drama is always much better on Broadway with respectable stars and a curtain that closes at the end of the show. I don't recommend the other kind... it's always more costly than the most expensive orchestra seat!)

b) have been swamped with work on the Kid's Choice Awards post party. Luckily, I love working in Adobe Illustrator and the days are flying by! It's a great job because Nickelodeon gives me all the ingredients and I get see how many successful recipes I can come up with. If they weren't all studded with sponsor logos, I'd put some up for you to see. Unfortunately, corporate America frowns on that sort of thing.

c) found out I have a thyroid issue that requires medication. Sad! On one hand, it explains tons about my energy levels over the past few months. On the other, I hate being bound to a regimen of meds. *sigh* Still, they may help me overcome the strange aversion to exercise that I seem to have developed. Of course, that could just be due to the fact that I have winter hibernating tendencies.

d) have a overwhelming need to introduce you to one of my favorite people in the world. Her name is Leese and her birthday was February 27th. We met back in (yikes!) 1996, so I have known her for 11 years. She is one of the universe's great gifts to me... and when you meet her, you will not be able to see the depth of her courage, or the breadth of her compassion, or the intricacy of her humanity because she is a humble thing and doesn't let it all hang out until she gets to know you better. She's a lot like a Shakespeare play... she takes some studying to understand, but when you figure out the details, she's pure poetry.

Here are some of the things she has done and been for me that has made my life a little brighter:

1) Caved and picked out a kitten for herself so that the kitten I adopted wouldn't be lonely.
2) Drove a gigantic U-Haul 9 hours from NC to NY because I was too chicken to drive a vehicle that large. (With previously mentioned kitten mewing piteously the whole way there!)
3) Looked appropriately shocked, but equally supportive when I announced I was getting married.
4) Was a gorgeous bride's maid at my wedding who did her job and caught the bouquet!
5) Became a formidable advocate for my well-being during a 4-day stint in a city hospital.
6) Endured, with a grace uncommon in best friends, some of my poorer choices in men.
7) Has become a geek with obsessions rivaling my own.
8) Gently persuaded me into a vegetarian lifestyle.
9) Keeps me inundated with Judy Dench movies, sitcoms, and interviews.

I am very glad she's here. She makes this story so much more interesting.

So - there... someone else for you to meet. Someday, when we're both 82, I'll write our memoirs and you'll be shocked at the details I have left out of this post. Ha! There's a cliffhanger for you. And you only have 52 years to wait!

1 comment:

Mdme X. said...

Cecila and Rosalind live long and prosper! A metaphor mixed or a thought to cross all ages. I will attest that there is nothing like a best friend in the universe, Shakespeare knew that bond, and I will be ever grateful that I was able to experience it in this life!