Friday, September 14, 2007

Trapeze!


Guess what? I finally got away from the city for a weekend! I haven't had an official vacation in ages, what with all the saving for a new apartment and work and such... so I decided to do something dramatic. Can someone please tell me what's more dramatic than aerial acrobatics? OK - there are tons of things I can think of, but none of them are less than 2 hours away, fairly affordable, and can be experienced in a weekend.

It was Julie's idea. We both took a beginner's class in June at TSNY. Julie liked it so much that she and her husband signed up for an Intensive Flying Workshop. (You may remember the pics I posted not too long ago.) I was working all summer, so I wasn't available for the IFW... sad! But then Julie found out about the Trapeze rig at Club Getaway and signed us up for 8 hours of weekend air time. Yikes! 8 hours! Sheesh...

I discovered quickly that Julie is an excellent travel partner. She brought everything we may need for any kind of mishap that could occur:
...And when we got there, we barely had time to get settled into our cabin before we were swept up onto the rig! Here's my attempt at catching the "Set Whip", my first trick.
...

...
We met lots of dedicated and entertaining people. The instructor team was headed by Jeff, Dino, and Bobby from the Espana Streb Trapeze Academy. I think I might take a class or two there this fall. Here's Fran, a seasoned aerialist, doing some impressive maneuvers on silks.
... Trapeze isn't the only recreational activity at Club Getaway. There is also a lake for water-skiing, kayaking, or swimming; a climbing wall and zip-line; archery, dancing, and hiking, and even a bizarre drinking game called Flip Cup which turned out to be a very popular activity!
...
But, we weren't there for Flip Cup or those other, ahem, humdrum pastimes. Here's Julie working hard on obtaining a professional flyer swing! Notice her unassisted, one-handed take-off...
...



Can you believe we actually woke up at 6:00 am every morning? (My mom will be so proud!) There was absolutely no way I was going up on that board without downing at least 2 cups of coffee! But, it pays off in the end as you can see below...



Yay for me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! SO AWESOME! Also, JUST as I got down to the videos "Also Sprach Zathustra", AKA the theme for 2001, shuffled up on the ipod. So funny, and very very cool, it really fits. Total heros, both! Great blog entry, and yay for you! oxo

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah... I am so proud of you! This reminds me of your bungy jump in New Zealand. Wow, you are pretty brave at 6:00am. Yes, I am proud of you. I'm even more proud that you are my daughter. Mom

Anonymous said...

testing...

Anonymous said...

Cool! I can post again!

I love this entry, Sarah. Really gives a sense of our time there. And I had a blast!

And yes, we are great travel partners. We both like to take our time and get up at 6 in the morning! I know very few people like that -- especially in the artist community!

So, what do you say, are you up for another trip some time? Hopefully Leese can come with us this time.

Sarah said...

Yep - up for another trip!

Where to this time???

And yay! I'm so glad you can post again! Wonder what the problem was...